Saturday, September 2, 2017

Perry Mason on HBO?

So MeTV sends two emails a week, one on Wednesday and one on Saturday. I thought for sure they would include a tribute to Richard in their Saturday email, as they have for other actors when they have passed. They didn't. I was hopping mad and went to their site to see if they'd even written one for him. They had, thankfully, even though they apparently didn't deem it important enough to include in their email. They also had a tribute for Richard by airing episodes of shows with him today, which I was glad of. And while I was on the site, I learned a very important piece of Perry news.

Remember how Robert Downey, Jr. wanted to make a new Perry movie? Apparently he's still interested in rebooting Perry, but now he's switched his sights to television. According to the article I found, it will be on HBO and now it's definite that it will be happening, instead of just a vague possibility in the future. This was apparently also being planned for a year and I somehow missed the news, I guess because MeTV also didn't deem that important enough to include in their emails.

I have mixed feelings about this. I do like the idea of the characters possibly becoming popular again and being introduced to a new generation. But is it worth it? Most reboots are not very good. HBO has high production values and they're highly acclaimed, but that doesn't mean Perry on HBO is a good idea.

Another question is, will it still be a period piece or will it be present-day? HBO certainly isn't a stranger to period pieces. I, of course, prefer the idea of updating to the present-day, but really only for the technology and because then I don't have to think that the characters would be dead now. However, if it brings present-day topics and values into it, then I'm not terribly pleased. Although even in our classic Perry there was certainly plenty of immorality going around, at least we didn't have to see bedroom scenes or hear blue language. And there wasn't gratuitous violence, and unfortunately with HBO, I'm sure we'll be seeing that no matter what time it's set in.

My guess is that it will be a period piece. Downey also, as I recall, wanted to specifically adapt the books, so I imagine the characters would be sticking closer to their book roots if that is still his plan. I'm also not sure what I think of that, since I'm not crazy about Perry in the books and don't like that he and Hamilton never form a friendship.

Overall, the article was pretty vague and just assured us that HBO Perry is coming. So, what do we all think of this?

8 comments:

  1. I'm ok with it. I remember reading an interview some time back about it and Robert Downey Jr. was making sure to not have the episodes set in the period of the Raymond Burr/Barbara Hale episodes.

    It'll be something to see though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, when he wanted to make a movie, he intended on it being set in the 1930s, since the earliest books were written then. I assumed that was what he still wanted.

      Delete
  2. Been watching through the early episodes and taped a clip where Hamilton got a prosecutor good -- the case of the prudent prosecutor (1960)... and noticed that his voice (William Talman's) was rather hoarse. My mom noticed it as well. We both thought that he had cancer at that point.

    It's a good episode for the most part though. Perry and Ham on the same side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, sad. I don't recall ever noticing he sounded hoarse on that one. I'll have to get it out and listen again. Yes, it's one of my favorite episodes. :)

      Delete
    2. Yea I didn't notice it at first until my mom pointed it out. Noticed that he wasn't as active in it either. Yea it' one of mine too. Saved it and a few others for my mom to watch. Just the really good one though, as the dvr only has so much space on it lol.

      I really liked how both him and Perry got along in it. Maybe it was the beginning of the characters friendship.

      Delete
    3. Well, since he wasn't prosecuting, it makes sense for him not to be as active. Still, I wished myself that he had been more involved with Perry's investigation and such. I guess he figured he couldn't do that either or it would look bad and maybe compromise his job.

      For my part, I believe that they were first starting to form a friendship way back in season 1. Some season 1 and 2 episodes show a definite developing respect and affection. But I wouldn't be surprised if this episode was a critical turning point!

      Delete
  3. Yea I just meant health wise. It reminded me of the Perry episodes where he wasn't in it as much (Raymond Burr), both in the show itself and in the later movies. They accommodated it for him, and I could see them doing the same for the other actors if need be.

    Fair point, it would have been nice. But if it did happen, I bet that pesky prosecutor would have been all over it.

    Ah I think so as well, but that episode really just stood out to me. Definitely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, they very well could have!

      Yeah, I'm sure he would have.

      Definitely an awesome episode! I'm so glad Erle Stanley Gardner didn't reject it, since he had to approve each script.

      Delete